Chat with us, powered by LiveChat HRMC Second Payment on Account: Due on 31st July 2019 - WIS Accountancy

HRMC Second Payment on Account: Due on 31st July 2019

Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
    This is a quick update about the  ‘HMRC Payment on Account’ on your Self Assessment return.
    Please ignore this email,
    • if you started your company on or after 6th April 2018; or
    • if your Personal Self Assessment tax bill for Financial Year 2017/18 is less than £1000
    If you paid a tax bill of above £1000 in January 2019 – please read on.

    You might have already received a payment reminder from HMRC regarding the same matter. Dividend tax that was introduced in April 2016 so this might be the first time you are facing this situation. We understand your confusion and hope this email will give some clarity.

    What is Payment on Account?

    ‘Payments on account’ are payments made towards your following year’s income tax. In other words “Advance Payments” towards following years’ Income Tax. There are two payment dates – 31 January and 31 July. Each payment is half of the amount due for the previous year.

    How is it calculated?

    Easy to explain through and Example. Assume your personal tax bill (mainly due to Dividend Tax) for 2017/18 is £2,000. Payment due date for this is 31st January 2019.

    You would have made a below payment using your personal bank account on or before 31st January 2019.

    Personal Tax bill for 2017/18 = £2,000
    50% Payment on Account for 2018/19 = £1,000
    Total Payment = £3,000

    Rest of the 50% (i.e £1,000) will need to be paid to HMRC by 31st July 2019

    What will happen to such advance payments?

    These two payments will offset your Tax liability for 2018/19.

    Where do you make this payments to?

    You need to make these payments to HMRC Bank Account no

    Sort code: 08 32 10
    Account number: 12001039
    Account name: HMRC Cumbernauld

    or you can pay online via HMRC

    What reference number should you be using for this payment?

    You should use your Personal UTR number.

    Which Bank account should you use for the payment?

    This is a personal tax so need to be paid from your personal Bank Account and NOT from the Business Bank Account.

    Please note personal Financial Year 2017/18 – starts on April 6th 2017 and ends on April 5th 2018.

    Again if you are in doubt – we are here to help – Contact us

    Share This Post

    Request a Callback

    Request a Free Accounting Quote

    Would you like an accounting quote based on your requirements and business? Click on the button below and complete the form to get an accounting quote sent through to you.

    We’re available Monday to Friday (9am – 5pm)